This dataset is derived from the Australia's River Basins 1997 (GA) dataset. It shows the 12 drainage divisions. Primary credit
should be given to Geoscience Australia.
This dataset was created by using ArcMap to dissolve polygons from the Australia's River Basins 1997 shapefile based on the
au_eatlas_rbasin_1997_divisions_polygon.shp (6 MB, 12polygons, Datum: AGD66):
This shapefile contains the divisions from the Australia River Basins 1997 dataset. It contains one attribute: DNAME which
contains one of the following division names: BULLOO-BANCANNIA, GULF OF CARPENTARIA, INDIAN OCEAN, LAKE EYRE, MURRAY-DARLING,
NORTH-EAST COAST, SOUTH-EAST COAST, SOUTH-WEST COAST, SOUTH AUSTRALIAN GULF, TASMANIA, TIMOR SEA, WESTERN PLATEAU
Data for basin boundaries have been captured by relevant State and Territory authorities from 1:10 000 and 1:250 000 scale
source material. The balance of the data are from Geoscience Australia's GEODATA Coast 100K which includes coastlines
and State and Territory borders.
Australia's River Basin data complies with the following rules for topology:
- The data has a node/chain structure;
- Every line feature has a node at each end;
- Every line feature has a node at intersections;
- Every line feature has a node at the point where an attribute of the feature changes;
- There are no unnecessary pseudo nodes;
- Every polygon is closed;
- Every polygon contains a polygon label point;
- There are no coincident features;
- There are no undershoots, overshoots, broken lines or other artefacts;
- Divisions, Regions or Basins that are intersected by State borders have identical label point attributes each side of
the State border; and
- Lines intersected by State borders, except for coastline, have identical attributes.